- 1.5 to 3 times more likely to die in childhood
- 2.7 times more likely to have stunted growth
- 3 to 4 times more likely to have iron deficiency before school begins
- 1.5 to 2 times more likely to be partly or completely deaf
- 1.2 to 1.8 times more likely to be partly or completely blind
- about 2 times more likely to have serious physical or mental disabilities
- 2 to 3 times more likely to die from accidental injuries
- 1.6 times more likely to catch pneumonia
“Everyone should just pull up their bootstraps and get to work, then they won’t be dependent on government or charity.”
To put it in biblical terms, there are unjust situations within our communities that prevent children from growing up, getting an even start out in life, that oppress their abilities to access the same advantages of other children. Might this be what Isaiah meant when he rebuked Israel?
“So as to deprive the needy of justice
And rob the poor of My people of their rights,
So that widows may be their spoil
And that they may plunder the orphans” (Isaiah 10:2).