- 1.5 to 3 times more likely to die in childhood
- 2.7 times more likely to have stunted growth
- 3 to 4 times more likely to have iron deficiency before school begins
- 1.5 to 2 times more likely to be partly or completely deaf
- 1.2 to 1.8 times more likely to be partly or completely blind
- about 2 times more likely to have serious physical or mental disabilities
- 2 to 3 times more likely to die from accidental injuries
- 1.6 times more likely to catch pneumonia
“Everyone should just pull up their bootstraps and get to work, then they won’t be dependent on government or charity.”
To put it in biblical terms, there are unjust situations within our communities that prevent children from growing up, getting an even start out in life, that oppress their abilities to access the same advantages of other children. Might this be what Isaiah meant when he rebuked Israel?
“So as to deprive the needy of justice
And rob the poor of My people of their rights,
So that widows may be their spoil
And that they may plunder the orphans” (Isaiah 10:2).
If these blogs and teachings benefit you in some way, please consider supporting the ministry of Christ Presbyterian Church in The Hill. Our church plant and ministry in the Hill is dependent on the kind and generous financial support from outside the Hill. The Hill is one of Connecticut's poorest and under-resourced, self-sustaining neighborhoods; we will be dependent on outside support for some time. Please consider supporting us with a one time donation or join us as a financial partner in ministry.
You may donate online through our website or send a donation to our anchor church marked for CPC in The Hill @ 135 Whitney Ave, New Haven, CT 06510 (checks are to be made out to Christ Presbyterian Church or simply CPC; and in the memo please indicate Hill/CA). For more information or to receive our Hill News Updates, please contact me, Pastor Chip, through this email address: ChipCPCtheHill@gmail.com.